top of page

Early Help

In North Lancashire, we are very fortunate to have many exceptional partner organisations who can support children, young people, their parents and carers with a range of issues and behaviours. 


If you have come to this page, you may have been thinking about some of your child's problems or behaviours.        There are  a few different ways you can get help and support.

1. If you have a concern about your child's physical or mental health, please speak to your GP, health visitor                   or school nurse. 

2. If you have a concern around your child's behaviour, you can speak to your health visitor, school nurse or seek advice from your local Children and Family Wellbeing Service who will be able to support and advise you and your family. You could also talk to your child's nursery or school about any help they can provide.

3. To get support from a key worker, you may need to complete something called a CAF (Common Assessment Framework). These forms help the people who support you understand what the problems are that you are facing so you get the right support at the right time for you and your family. 

4. If you are worried about your child's progress, please speak to your child's key worker (in nursery), class teacher (in primary school), form tutor or head of year (in secondary school) tutor (in college). 

You may start a process known as "Assess, Plan, Do, Review" which aims to

  • Assess the needs of the child or young person 

  • Plan what steps are needed to meet their needs 

  • Do whatever actions you have planned to meet the needs of the child or young person 

  • Review how that support is working and address any issues .

This is a cycle that is meant to be in place as long as the child or young person's issues need support. 


Lancashire Healthy Young People and Families Service provides health visiting and school nursing services across the county.

0300 247 0040 or at


Children and Family Wellbeing Service 

Based in Lune Park, Poulton, West Gate and Carnforth Neighbourhood Centres.

Lune Park 01524 581280

lancs local offer logo.jpg

Lancashire County Council Local Offer

Information and signposting on a range of issues for families across Lancashire 


Lancashire SENDIAS 

We can provide information around the following areas in relation to SEND:

  • rights, roles and responsibilities

  • health and social care processes, regulations and guidance

  • support from other agencies and organisations

Phone Line 0300 123 6706 or email 



Portage is an educational home-visiting service for pre-school children who have significant special educational needs and disabilities.

We support parents and carers in their own home to develop their child's play and learning and promote positive outcomes. Parents and carers know their children best and it is easier for children to learn in familiar, comfortable surroundings. The idea is to have fun together.

Many parents have found Portage very helpful because of its supportive and positive approach and the impact upon their child's development.

For eligibility and referral information visit the website or contact one of the Inclusion Teams

Inclusion Service area teams

North - Fylde, Wyre and Lancaster
Tel: 01524 581 200

South - Chorley, South Ribble, West Lancashire and Preston
Tel: 01772 531 597

East - Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Rossendale, Burnley and Pendle
Tel: 01254 220553

Early Help Links


bottom of page